Thursday, April 5, 2012

Here's a very literary post

I don't read Elle in the US, but I've bought two copies of the UK edition this week alone. (I would explain, but such behavior is obviously inexplicable.) Anyway, UK Elle has a page where they ask some famous person about their favorite books. And so here are some words of wisdom from Vivienne Westwood:

The Gods will have Blood - Anatole France
I couldn't put this book about the French Revolution down. It's about a young man who started with good motives, but became corrupted by extremism. I've given this book to people and they tell me they can't get through it. Sometimes books are difficult, but you should carry on because the more you read, the more familiar you become with other ideas. It's about being what I call a 'fit reader' -- you have to push yourself and eventually you'll come to understand it.
Very sensible.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought Vivienne Westwood was fairly awesome, and I think this just about confirms it!

    Also, I'd just like to add my very scientific opinion that UK Elle is better than US Elle, based on buying one of each of them ever in my life (both had Gwen Stefani on the cover, what can I say?) So, yeah. Go UK Elle (or something...)

    ReplyDelete