Friday, March 16, 2012

The Number One Thing I Miss From America*

This guy. Right here. I think mine is currently in storage. I remember quite clearly when a college friend bought hers; "it changed my life," she said. I didn't give in until grad school, and even then it took me a couple of years, but behold, ye wire bookstand is indeed a life changing device. There are a lot of different types out there, but I like this one. Here's an intriguing Italian design that doesn't make the book hands-free, but rather supports a book while you lie in some awkward position. Awkward positions are the best for reading, so this seems to be filling a need.

Not really related, but that Italian bookstand reminds me of seeing bookstraps for sale at Feltrinelli's** in Rome ages and ages ago. Yeah, like actual bookstraps that you could use to be a cute book-toting old-fashioned schoolchild. I was always tempted to buy one and give it a try. Books may be old technology but their accessories are still pretty fun.


* OTHER THAN YOU, ALICE
** I never realized until just now that the first syllable there is "Felt-" rather than "Fett-".

3 comments:

  1. I have that exact same wire bookstand. They're very handy. (i also sell them in my bookshop)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try out a bookstand! There are so many times when I wish I had one... Also I would TOTALLY want one of those cute old-fashioned bookstraps! You should definitely get one :)

    ReplyDelete